Las Vegas Makes List of Lowest Private School Enrollment Numbers

Posted on by & filed under Nevada by the Numbers Blog.

Las Vegas is among the U.S. cities with the lowest percentage of school-age children enrolled in private school, according to a new CityLab report. Nationally, 10% of school kids grades 1-12 attend private schools, but in Sin City it is just 5.5%, placing it fourth on the low enrollment list.

Cities that round out the top 5 for lowest private school enrollment are Fresno, CA (3.7%), El Paso, TX (4.3%), Bakersfield, CA (4.6%) and Riverside, CA (6.0%).

The 10 metros where private school enrollment is lowest are in the Southwest or West. All except Salt Lake City have large Hispanic populations, which CityLab says is a reminder that private schools are popular among non-Hispanic Catholics, but not among Hispanic Catholics.

Just 20 percent of private school students in the U.S. attend non-sectarian schools; the other 80 percent are in religiously-affiliated private schools, of which half are Catholic, says CityLab. Other findings:

  • Just 20 percent of private school students attend non-sectarian schools; the other 80 percent are in religiously-affiliated private schools, of which half are Catholic.
  • The cost of private schools is high, but varies widely. On average, tuition is almost $11,000, not counting discounts or scholarships. This ranges from $7,000 for Catholic schools and $9,000 for other religious schools to $22,000 for non-sectarian private schools. Tuition tops out at about $40,000 for the most expensive prep schools.

Read the whole report here.